I agree. Get a Linux system and a 1 user license of Universe.
Both combined should cost under $1000.00.

You can even use the Linux system as a remote printer server for
a parallel / serial / usb printer, or beef up the drives in the
Linux system, and use it for online backups or a mail/fax gateway.

George