-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Jordan
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:15 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2]: Epicor

We have seen a couple of cases where the CFO has gone to jail for
carrying
out an illegal action.  The CFO gained no financial advantage, whilst
the
CEO who gained the financial advantage actually never went to jail.  In
the
UK a programmer got into serious trouble when programming who got
university
places.  After exhausting a variety of priority issues such as marks to
decide who would get a position, he then made a decision based on skin
colour.

Programmers are regarded as professional/educated people by the courts
and
the courts view is that a programmer should no better when programming
improper code.  (Ignorance is no excuse) If a programmer modifies the
code
so the CFO does not pay the correct tax, then the court regards the
programmer as an accomplice to the crime.  The court's view is that a
threat
of sacking is not an excuse to commit a crime.

Bill is right some IT people will be in for a horrific shock as they
could
be caught up in fraud, privacy issues, spam and other areas and most
have
not considered their legal implications.

Regards
David Jordan