Gordon,

I didn't read your first posting.  So this email may not make a sense.
Sorry.

We just converted UNIX traditional authentication method to use Active
Directory.  As you may know, AD is Microsoft's LDAP solution.

Our current production UNIX platforms are:

OS: HP-UX 11.11
64-bit UniData 5.2.8

We decided to purchase Vintella Authentication Service (VAS) to
integrate AD and UNIX user password synchronization.

In order to use VAS, PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) had to be
installed in all HP-UX boxes.  So applications that are aware of PAM
(using libpam.a), like sshd, worked fine without changing.  However,
UniData we are using is not built with libpam.a (ie. UniRpcD,
udapi_server, and udapi_slave.  How did I find it?  I used ldd command
against a binary file.).  That broke our UniObject for Java sessions;
connect() method stopped working.  Yicks!

Enough about Ferguson stuff...  Getting bored, eh?  Anyway, if I were
you, I would try this:

Option 1:  I think it's using LDAP, but maybe not...  Let's find out.

Create a tiny C or Perl program to find what password field returns when
calling getpwnam() function.  If password field contains *, then most
likely you are using a shadow password file.  Use getspnam() for that
and execute the little program being root.  If a crypted password string
returned, make sure that UniData (maybe Universe?) daemon processes
owned by root.  Shadow password can be read only by root or applications
with root juice.  :)  Then I would try your UniObject application.

Option 2: Oh, darn...Option 1 didn't work.  And we cannot ditch LDAP
authentication.

Create a local special UNIX user in your server side (meaning, the
user's password stored in traditional UNIX password file with crypted
password in password field)

1. In your client application, authenticate connecting users using JNDI
if your application is written in JAVA or ADSI if your application is
written in Visual Basic (System.Directoryservices for .NET) before
calling UniObject routines.
2. Use that special UNIX user to open a UniObject session.

Bad (?) thing about the above implementation is that the special user
will be an owner of a file, not actual user, when writing a record.