Other RDBMS are worse, you usually have the choice of named users or server
licenses and you don't have the advantage of concurrent licenses.  The
number of sites who put up something like a phone book list on SQL Server
with 10 license as they expected no more than 10 people at a time accessing
the database to only find out later that they needed a couple of 100
licenses for every potential user who accesses the system.  Worse if you
access the database from your desktop and your phone then you require 2
licenses not one.  Using RDBMS for Internet facilities requires a Server
License of the database to get around this issue of named licenses.

The wording in the licensing for UniVerse did specify that it was a breach
of the license to use this type of multiplexed processing to minimise
licensing.  This is covered with Redback with special licensing and I am not
aware of this being made available to other 3rd parties, but I am sure that
some arrangement could be made with IBM for other 3rd party products.  I do
believe in the next releases of UniVerse & UniData that pooling facilities
will be made available although I am not sure what this means in licensing
terms.

Although there is often a level of outrage, remember if U2 does not sell
licenses then there will be no U2 products.  Just to give some perspective,
concurrent licensing can cut the number of licenses purchased as much as 90%
(1 concurrent to 10 named licenses).  By multiplexing, one is reducing by
90% again by having 10 users use 1 concurrent license.   This means that U2
would only achieve 1% of the license sales that you would expect if you had
Oracle, SQL Server, etc.

Bearing this in mind, if people have a realistic and commercially viable
suggestion for a suitable licensing model for these types of applications,
then the U2UG can lobby IBM for a change in licensing.

Regards
David Jordan
U2UG Director