Anthony Dzikiewicz wrote:
I would assume that you like Dell support ?  My experience with them is
that they went from once upon a time very good (8 years ago or so) to
the pits.  Every time I call, I get transferred overseas to India and
the conversation is almost unbearable.  Recently, I ordered an extra cpu
for our testmachine, which is a Dell.  They cancelled it with out any
notice !  When I called to reorder, they said I couldn't, because it
wasn't in stock.  So, I have to keep calling until I get a 'hit'.  This
is really a joke.  Luckily, our var deals with Dell and was able to get
parts.

I've also had bad experiences with Dell support and sales. We have a couple of Dell Windows domain controllers. They shipped one with 3 NICs and one with 1 NIC (should have been 2 each), sold me a Dell rebranded gigabit switch that wasn't compatible with any of the NICs, and sold me Arcserve backup software with an incompatible 4mm autoloader. When I called support to try to get the autoloader to work, they eventually gave up and told me Dell gives "best effort" support for peripherals, and I'd need to work with CA since they make the Arcserve software. We have "Silver" level support. I will never buy another Dell server.

We migrated UV to IBM xSeries 345 hardware running RedHat AS 3 last year. I've also found RedHat support to be so-so. IBM's hardware support is excellent, however. We have a number of other xSeries servers running both windows and linux. The engineers IBM sends out are knowledgeable and the response times are short.

As far as the UV to linux migration, it was painless. We did have one oddball problem that I just recently solved related to the linux CUPS spooler. We have a number of jetdirect connected laserjets that we send UV reports to overnight. Turns out that if the CUPS daemon is restarted with jobs in the queue, any PJL commands within the queued jobs will be ignored by the printer. This was causing us a problem because the laserjets' output trays would fill up over the weekend and the CUPS daemon would also restart over the weekend to rotate its log file. The solution was to change the CUPS log rotation from weekly to monthly.

-John
--
John Hester
System & Network Administrator