What kind of hardware is it running on ? What OS ?

Here's my performance issue story.

I thought I was having issues myself with dynamic files.  We had switched
over to Linux about 6 months ago.  Things were going fine until I started to
run our 'purges'.  They would take the system down to its knees.

Anyway, I finally found out that the problem was some Qlogic HBA's that we
have connecting a Clariion disk array.  My VAR loaned me some Emulex cards
this week.  I switched the Qlogic for Emulex and the problem disappeared !

The iowait reading on the system would go to about 100% when doing heavy
disk writes - forget dynamic files - just plain file copies (1/2 gig files)
in Linux to the Clariion. The copy would complete and the iowait would
remain up at 100% for sometimes up to a minute afterwards.  Our
/var/log/messages file would get loaded with 'QUEUE FULL' errors from the
qla2300 driver.

Doing the same copy with the Emulex cards cause iowait to hit about 74%.
However, as soon as the copy is complete, the iowait goes back down to next
to nothing without any kind of major freeze up.

This may not be your issue at all.  I would suggest copying of a large file
at the OS level using the disk that the dynamic files are on as the target.
See if this has the same impact on the performance.  If so, then the issue
is not dynamic files after all - its OS/hardware related.

A lesson to anyone considering Linux - stay away from Qlogic HBA's - they
suck in a major way and the company denys any problems and says that they
are stable on Linux.  They are not !

Anthony Dzikiewicz