Backup job?
Some batch processing happening that someone forgot to stop
if/when things changed?
Sending or recieving data from another system source? Listening for
incoming data via some process from some other system and maybe
that other system itself goes down for backups or maintenance or
some such thing?
Is there email on this system?Midnight to 4 or 5 AM is Prime Spammer Time.
Or Hacker time. Got all your security and functionality updates applied?
Oops. LINUX.

You could download and install a system wide performance
monitoring product then trace all processes on the system and see
what process does exactly what, with what resourcesand when.
www.deltek.us  Oops. LINUX.

Setup your own cron job that wakes up every 10 or 15 minutes,
captures varioss system snaps shots (ps -ef > $OUTPUT.txt type
of thing) and see what processes are doing during those hours.

Sasser type viruses, if on any client PC in the network, can send
out a ton of network jibberish trying to find any client or server it
can hack its way into.

Pick a night and stay late and watch things personally, or connect
in remotely.

Sorry - Just several possible random thoughts to help stimulate
some brain cell activity.