I did something like this a few years ago (on unix). Inetd was
configured to run "uv httpd" in response to hits on port 80, where httpd
was a basic program that read and wrote to standard io using socket
calls (this was before universe included socket functions, so I had some
simple GCI code that implemented socket send and receives, more or less
copying the functionality of GET and SEND). There was no problem at all
with binary data. So a basic program read the HTTP request and served
either files from unix or items from hashed files, or requests with
"cgi-bin" in the path ran subroutines with output directed back to the
client.