> There are a few problems with this theory.  @AM is only a typical
component
> of U2 systems and so would not, most likely, have been included in
> the Advanced

@AM might not have been available then, but EQUATE was.  Most programs
written before @AM was available usually equated the delimiters (FM, AM,
VM, SVM, etc) whether you used them or not.  Your fingers just typed in
the EQUATE statements, even if your brain was not working.

> The more important problem is that the variables are all mapped into a
> contiguous workspace that is referenced so continously that it's
> highly unlikely it
> would ever get paged from memory, while your process is running, except
> perhaps on systems that were so woefully underbuilt that paging
> BASIC variables
> would be the least of your problems.

The distinction with using an EOF variable is that it is not referenced,
until the next READNEXT.  Each new variable that is read into memory will
push the EOF variable further to the back.  This definitely caused frame
faults (I think that's what they were called) on Advanced Pick.  On either
U2 systems or on properly built systems, I doubt it makes a bit of
difference, it might even slow things down.

Also, I'm not sure which book this was in.  Wasn't there a book called
"Pick for Professionals", by Harvey Rodstein?  It might have been in that
one.

Charlie Rubeor
Unix/Database Admin
The Wiremold Company