I would think that you have actually gone over the file size limit of
Linux ... tail & head may not REALLY be working (accurately).

I actually thought the limit was 2Gb (which is why the need for
partitioned files in the first place).

Happy to be wrong (not an active UD user), but had a similar problem
once when I copied a BIG file from a windows box to Linux across a Samba
Share

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!