-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al DeWitt
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:59 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] Formatting Data

Part of the problem, I believe is that our ECLTYPE and BASICTYPE are P,
Pick.  Commands are not working the way I expect because I'm approaching
this from a UV mindset (I can't help it, it's what I know).

I'm being told that NEWLINE = FMT(TRIM(LINE),'55T') would turn
'Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this
continent a new nation,' into 'Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers
brought [EMAIL PROTECTED]
'on this continent a new nation,'  However, the command: NEWLINE =
FMT(TRIM(LINE),'55T') does not work.  It just gives me the letter T.

The command: NEWLINE = FMT(TRIM(LINE),'T#55') sort of works.
If LINE = 'Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on
this continent a new nation,',
the FMT command produces 'TFourscore and seven years ago our fathers
brought forth' but loses 'on this continent a new nation,'

I don't think UniData's Pick flavor is up to the task, but I'm open to
any ideas.
--Al