I've tried both the M and S.  I only left it M when I saw this index
working perfectly on another site using this same software.

Going spelunking for logs now.  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:03 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] [UD] DISABLE.INDEX from BASIC

That's precisely how it presented to us. If it was built on an earlier
version it would update OK - but as soon as we rebuilt it just wasn't
right.

Other ideas:

Check the *log files in @udthome/bin. Likely udt.log, udt.errlog, not
sure if 5.2 had udtsort.log?

Make sure you have enough space in /tmp (@udttmp) as the index needs
it.
Usually you get an error though if it runs out of space.

If the rebuild didn't work when everyone was off (and you made sure it
was deleted at the Aix level) then you could delete the index (make
sure it's gone) copy all of the records out of the file. Re-create the
index, copy all of the records back in.

I did notice that it looks like the index is defined as a "M" though
it looks like it should be an "S". Try re-saving the dict item in SB+,
make sure <6> of the UD dictionary is "S" and then delete and
re-create the index - while everyone is off.