Thanks again to everyone for all their help. I'm almost there.

I want to use the VOC pointer so I created the pointers in my Live and
Test VOC files, logged out and back in to ensure I was reading VOC but
I'm still not meeting with any success. When I attempt to reference the
pointer I get a "Unintialized Variable" warning during compile and 0
(zero) assumed error during execution. The path looks like
"0/MTR01040600nn.ROW"

LIST VOC F1 F2 F3 VERTICAL "MFG.DATA.IPS.TMP" 16:27:26 Jan 04 2006 1
VOC   MFG.DATA.IPS.TMP
F1    DIR
F2    /tmp/MFG.DATA.IPS.TEST/tmp
F3    D_VOC

        GOSUB GET.MTR.COUNTER
        MTR.REC="MTR":OCONV(DATE(),"D2/"):OCONV(MTR.CTR,"MR%4"):".ROW"
        CONVERT "/" TO "" IN MTR.REC
* -- The following line fails to compile
        MTR.FILE.PATH=MFG.DATA.IPS.TMP
* -- Tim suggested the following WEOFSEQ approach to create a new file.
I'll remove the CRT statements after debugging is over.
        OPENSEQ MTR.FILE.PATH:"/":MTR.REC TO F.MTR.ROW.FILE THEN
                CRT 'Existing file'
        END ELSE
                CRT 'Creating new file'
        END
        WEOFSEQ F.MTR.ROW.FILE
        WRITESEQ LASTREC APPEND ON F.MTR.ROW.FILE ELSE
                CALL SB.DISP(3,"TROUBLE WRITING TO
":MTR.FILE.PATH:"/":MTR.REC" [E":STATUS():"]")
                GO PGM.EXIT
        END
        CLOSESEQ F.MTR.ROW.FILE
        RETURN