It looks like the closest we can get to a Java call is either:
a) embedded shell command in Basic Sub call
b) 'Execute' a Voc pointer from Basic Sub that has a shell command
Does anyone have an example of this?
a & b don't offer easy way to pass arguments, do they?

c) wrap the Java call in a C program and call that through the GCI
I guess I could just use their C API (after all the hair pulling to get
the Java API to run)

A couple goals to guide methodology:
1) Multi-thread capability, persistent until finished, 1 authorization =
1 call
2) Speed, with desire to eventually make this 'on-line' authorizations
if responses are fast enough (in milliseconds)

Thanks to everyone for the corporate musings.

R. Baker Hughes
UniVerse Programming
Mouser Electronics, Inc.

from Gordon -
>UV has the GCI (General Call Interface) that allows it to make calls to

>external subroutines written in C, C++ and Fortran 77.
>
>P.S.  I think we should add this functionality request to our
enhancement
>request list.  Fortran 77?  Does that even exist anymore?  I'm thinking
>Java interface would be much more in demand that a Fortran 77 one.

Well said.