As someone who's not a newbie, but has some newbie questions from time to
time...  I need some decent info on Unidata dynamic files.  I've got the
IBM/U2 docs as well as a couple of Fitz & Long PDFs on file hashing.

In short, we use static hashing on most files and have no trouble, resize
weekly (or more often) and keep great tabs on modulos, overflow and the
like.  However, we have a couple that are approaching 1Gig in size and I
don't want to wait until I get any closer to the 2Gig limit before moving
some of the large ones to dynamic hashing.

However, the few files I have moved to dynamic hashing are rediculous in
size.  I'm obviously setting some file parameters wrong, but would like
insight from anyone who has good luck...

The file STC.HIST as a dynamic file takes up 4.3Gig of disk space.  It has
around 944,000 records, a blocksize of 1024 but a modulo of 4,000,000+
When I convert this to a static file, I can properly size it with a modulo
of around 94,000 which takes up a mere 75Meg.

I've tried changing split/merge loads from the default of 60/40 to 20/10.
I've tried playing with the minimum modulo.
I'm clueless on dynamic files and would love any insight.

Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Administrative Systems
Hampshire College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
413-559-5556

"We make moral decisions everyday even if we don't know it."
Scott Simon (NPR) on the death of 20,000 coal miners annually in China.