I have cured this problem by turning off the stackwrite and have a log on process that loads the stack by the users ID and saves the stack to the users ID when they exit. That way they always have the same stack no matter how they log in.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: [U2] Justification for removal of savedlists

SAVEDLISTS is a directory file. Searching a directory requires (on average) that you examine half the items in the directory before you find the one you
want. Given a large directory, this can be very slow.  (I once saw an
example of a SAVEDLISTS directory with 275000 items in it!!)

If this is UniVerse, also check that the STACKWRITE record in your VOC says
  OFF

If it is at its default of ON, you save a command stack every time you log
out. These are saved with a name of &&S.username.userno. The theory is that
when you log back in, the system can reload your stack and you carry on as
though you had not gone home. This was fine in the days of async comms lines
where you got the same user number each time you logged in. With modern
networks this is not true. The command stack you recover is yours but
potentially from ages ago and hence totally useless.

If you have, say, 100 users each with a unique user name, given long enough
you will have 10000 totally useless command stack records killing
performance of select list access. Scale this up to larger systems and the
results are fascinating!

[ Perhaps it's about time IBM reworked this "feature". I have been telling
people to turn it off the the last ten years or so ].

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200