Ron Sharcott wrote:

One thing that we have been looking at is DBPAUSE. The problem being that
anything running is left to finish. Not a good pause in my book. But the
interesting suggestion is the fsclone command in UNIX. This has been
reported to us that it could allow us to do an initial backup in about 15
minutes (that's what was told to us) and then from that inactive clone we
would take our needed multiple backups.

Ron - you're on the right approach. A filesystem/SAN snapshot feature will be able to natively replicate a filesystem faster than anything else.
As previously posted you would:

dbpause
file system snapshot/break mirror/etc
dbresume
detroy temp file system snapshot/reattach mirror

The problem, regardless of approach is that when you issue the dbpasue, ideally you need to ensure

1) No transactions are being written to the dbms

2) Any reads/writes to the dbms are logically submitted as a grouped transaction - if part fails, the whole thing fails so you don't have partially written records or bad data written to some records and good data written to others.

Unfortunately, dbpause doesn't ensure (1) and many applications and developers (ahem, Datatel) don't address (2).

Regardless, any approach of this type would most likely be better than what you're doing now.

Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Administrative Systems
Hampshire College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
413-559-5556

"We're not given the burdens we deserve,
    we're given the burdens we can bear."  Several