Hey Andy - I have used the unix utils that convert a txt file to a
postscript (txt2ps) file and then a postscript to a pdf (ps2pdf) . These
where for fairly simply formatted text files. You can also run an xsl
against an xml (using xsltproc) to reformat it, and perhaps run one of the
above tools to then convert it to pdf.

If you want some decent formatting, graphics etc, i think some proper plugin
or api would be better.

Rgds
Sym