Steve O'Neal wrote:
> Proposing three alternatives:
> 1) UniData Triggers that call a UniData EDA (Extended Data
> Architecture) interface to write to MySQL.  The only thing
that has
> to be developed is the MySQL interface for EDA.  The
burden here is
> adding triggers for the UDT database. Hummm....

Am I right in thinking EDA is OFS++?  I don't think Kevin
will have access to that in UniData 6.0, and I can't see him
wanting to write and link in an OFS driver for MySQL.  What
about IBM Lab Services - would they write an OFS driver when
the technology is *very* deprecated?

> 2) UDT Triggers that feed IBM's DataStage to perform the
ETL
> (Extraction of the data, Transformation of the data (ABC
on the UDT
> system = 123 on MySQL), and Load). The burden here is
adding triggers
> for the UDT database. Hummm....

Sledgehammer, nut? ...

> 3) using the "WRITE Subroutine" methodology that updates
both
> the UniData
> DB and the MySQL via EDA.  The burden here is changing all
of
> the writes to call subroutines. Hummm....

Again, I'm having trouble with the juxtaposition of the
components EDA and UniData 6.0 in this solution.

> A lot of work no matter what the alternative is.
>
> Rephrasing Tony...
> U2 Lab Services would be honored to work with you to
provide
> a complete solution.

Adding triggers for the appropriate files shouldn't be a big
problem once you've worked out what needs to go across.
Normalising and massaging that data on it's way across could
be fun though.

I still think the option of pushing the data into MySQL
through ODBC and BCI (not UCI which is the term I mentioned
the other day), or pulling it out from the windows end via
an ODBC schema on your interrim tables make fairly simple,
understandable and testable solution options.

I also suspect IBM Lab Services would help you with these
too, if you wanted them to! ;^)

Cheers,

Ken