-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sara Burns
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 4:19 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UV - Transaction Logging - Stale Transactions

Late last year we upgraded from UV 10.0.11 on AIX to UV 10.1.16 on Red
Hat Linux.  At the same time we implemented Transaction Logging.

We have a dispersed network with users throughout the country at about
40 sites using VOIP for our data and voice transmission.  These sessions
do sometimes get dropped due to network glitches and users do sometimes
terminate their sessions without logging off correctly.

All has gone reasonably smoothly but we are finding that we sometimes
get Stale Transactions.  This means that all subsequent transaction logs
are in the NeedSync state and the Available log files may be exhausted -
at which stage everything stops.  We have now got a large pool of log
files available.

Does anyone have any hints to investigate what is causing the Stale
Transaction so that it can be corrected so all logs can be Released
ready for reuse.  We have found that on at least one occasion they did
free themselves but we usually require a restart of UniVerse to get the
process working again.  We do have a scheduled restart at midnight while
we obtain a snapshot.  This is obviously releasing something we cannot
see.  It would be preferable to be able to remove the cause so a
consistent set of logs can be created as these are also sent to our DR
site.

The manual indicates that when you re-enable transaction logging you
will be asked if you wish to terminate pending (prepared) stale
transactions.  In our case we now have so many log files the process has
not stopped.  Due to our many dependant systems, internal and external,
it is undesirable to Disable the Transaction Logging system during
active use.  This would be a last resort.

In the latest episode there were no entries in the lock tables, no
semaphores set and we cleaned out every process we could find that was
not us or the various uv daemons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sara Burns (SEB)

IS Development Manager

Public Trust
Phone: +64 (04) 978 4534 (DDI)

Mobile: 029 978 4534
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachment) is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
please destroy this communication. You must not disclose, copy or use in
any way the information contained in this communication. Any views
expressed in this communication are not necessarily the views of Public
Trust. No representation is made that this communication is free of
error, virus or interference.

.