< These are all good suggestions, but the issue is I cannot tell if the
job
failed due to an out of licenses condition.>

I concur with prior respondents - if it is mission-critical, buy more
licenses.  The issue for me (and anyone who knows more can correct me)
is that you are allowed 10 sessions from one workstation (or server) and
these 10 sessions consume one license.  So if you have several batch
jobs that run concurrently during the day, they are just one license.

Dick Kryka
Director of Applications
Paragon Financial Services
a Division of Money Management International
303-632-2226