From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 10:32 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UV install - internal vs. external

As part of our DR configuration, our database is loaded on an external
RAID
array.  We have the ability, should one server crash, to present the
disks to
other servers and be back up and running.

The question has arisen as to
whether we should do the same with UV itself.
Currently, it is loaded on an
internal drive, and therefore has to be loaded
on any failover machine.  If
we load it on an external drive, we would be
able to present that disk to a
failover machine along with the database.
This would also allow us to only
have to do UV maintenance updates, mods,
etc.) in one place and not have to
worry about keeping multiple servers in
synch.

The down side is that it
appears that when UV installs, it doesn't put
EVERYTHING into /usr/ibm/uv (or
whatever directory you choose for the
install).  For example, the uv.rc
script gets installed into /etc, and the
/etc/inittab file is modified to
call it.  Our concern is that there are
other pieces strewn throughout unix
that would be missing if we didn't
actually do the install on every server.
Does anyone know if there are other pieces of UV that don't go into the
install directory - or if this is the only one?

Thanks!
Brian

Brian
F. Paige
Serta International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Direct line:  847-747-0451
Internal extension:  2051
Fax:  847-747-0551

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_
which
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material
not
intended for Public use.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. If you
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
delete the
material from any and all computers or devices.