On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Dave Taylor wrote:

> Bob,
>
> In Universe on Windows, there is no Universe spooler.
>
> You print directly to a Windows printer.
>
> If you want to pass PCL commands to that printer, you have to assign it the
> Generic/Text 0nly driver from the Windows Generic mfg.
>
> I guess I don't know what you mean by "spooler mode" and I've never heard of
> Windows commands like "StartDocPrinter, WritePrinter, EndDocPrinter" so I'm
> not familiar with how they work.
>
> Are they Windows commands?
>
> Or, Universe commands?

These are Windows commands. See, for instance
   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535522(VS.85).aspx

It would be a logical thing, I think, for Universe to use this approach to
writing to a printer, at least as an option. This would allow programmers
to work in Windows the same way they did on Unix.

Is a Universe demo available from IBM?

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 company e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA