> From: Tom Whitmore
> We use gpg to provide a level of one-way encryption.
> It's not the best, but it is the only option we could find.

Does Universe or Unidata have a way to link custom functions into
the monitor?  This would facilitate in-process execution of code
directly from BASIC.  For example in D3 we can link in MD5
encryption from an external C library and then run it using:
  success=%md5(valuein,valueout,options)
or use common libraries like this:
  result=%curl(url,page,options)
etc...

Not many people use this functionality but the benefit is that a
new process doesn't need to be created and destroyed on every
execution, as is the case with something like this:
  EXECUTE "SH -C gpg ":PARAMS:" CAPTURING OUT
This functionality opens the door to all sorts of possibilities -
allowing us to make use to a world full of function libraries
when people here are always trying to reinvent the wheel with
BASIC.  Unfortunately because of geeky words like "C", "link",
and "monitor", this topic is hardly ever discussed.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services

Visit PickWiki.com!  Contribute!