From: owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Boydell, Stuart
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:34 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] Best algorithm for UV part files

Well, it's a 'how long's a piece of string' type of question but we had
a requirement to archive old data from a heavily used file.
The file has several indices too many and is in use 24/7
This makes copy/delete a fairly heavy impact on the system and archiving
was always an issue.
The IDs in the file are a mix of numeric and prefixed keys eg 123456 or
B123456 from different systems.

We decided that a part file would solve the issue because you can remove
the part from the DF and because the indices are attached to the part
it's a very quick, clean action. If for some reason you need to put it
back - it's also very quick and easy.

So, we came up with a part file system which puts 100000 sequential IDs
into a part then moves onto the next one. For our requirement numeric
keys go in a different part from prefixed keys.

Theoretically this makes it easy to archive chunks of data by moving a
whole part and also to find specific date ranges for records based on
their keys within a particular part.

@PART.ALGORITHM = OCONV(@ID,'MCN':@VM:'MR05')[1] + 1;IF @ID MATCH '0N'
THEN @1 ELSE @1 + 10

Regards,