From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Steve Romanow
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:34 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] FW: Valid Backup on Windows Universe

Kevin Gusler wrote:
> How many disks are in your array and are they all raid 0?
>
> What kind of controller (if hardware) are you using that is doing a Raid
> 0+1+1??
>

> Kevin Gusler
> Applications Developer
> Mortgage Builder Software, Inc.
> Main:    800.850.8060 ext. 106
> Fax:      248.304.0601
> www.mortgagebuilder.com

I'm sorry, I am more of a user/dev than sysadmin.  Our var set it up for
us.  What I do know is:

AIX 5.3, external drive enclosure with 15 sas drives (I think).  12 are
used for the udvg, in what they called a triple-mirror.  I know that is
not a technical term, but I never pushed the issue to determine what
raid level it is.  We use tivoli storage manager (that comes with aix)
and use mkvgback.  We basically do a dbpause, run a script called
do-sbom-1, which creates the split mirror /sbom fs, resumes the ud db,
startes the backup.  After the backup completes to tape, do-sbom-2 is
called which rejoins the mirror.  It takes like 30 seconds for step 1, 4
hours for backup to tape, and a couple of hours to resync the raid.  The
users only see a 30second pause.

The failure I see of this system is that even though the db is paused,
it is not in a "safe" state for backup.  The only way to achieve that is
to stop all scheduled jobs, logoff oall users, and complete all
transactions. Hard to do in a 24-7 business.