From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Steve Romanow
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:45 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] FW: Valid Backup on Windows Universe

Kevin Gusler wrote:
> Steve -
>
> Why do you think this?
>
> "The failure I see of this system is that even though the db is paused, it
> is not in a "safe" state for backup."
>
> Once you broke the mirror would it not be safe to backup that array??
>

> Kevin Gusler
> Applications Developer
> Mortgage Builder Software, Inc.
> Main:    800.850.8060 ext. 106
> Fax:      248.304.0601
> www.mortgagebuilder.com

The db is basically in "mid sentence".  The commits are not atomic.  If
you restore to the tape, you may in my case have "half an order" or an
invoice half processed.  the unidata dbpause does not make people get
out of maitnenance screens or release locks, so records can be in an
uncommitted state.  Risk is small, but it is present.