Mecki Foerthmann wrote:
It really boils down to this.
What can you do with Python in a U2 database that I can't do with Pick Basic?
Umm, real unit testing ala nosetest

real exception handling,

umm, real inline documentation (the topic of this thread)

Umm, access to thousands of trained developers all over the world.

lets see, point 5, joining this decade with a modern toolkit.

cross platform capability built in (python runs everywhere, everywhere I care about at least.)

Great UI toolkits gtk, Qt, Tcl, (for free)

integration with everything under the sun (except U2) jython, ipython, .NET,

Anyone think of anything else?

And do I really need to be able to do that to do my job improving and maintaining commercial software in an SB+ Unidata environment any better?
If you limit youself to what SB+ can do, wow. I am coding around SB+ as much as possible.
Do I get paid more if I write code in Python instead of Basic?
Doesnt matter. You will have a better chance of being employable with your next job by learning python (or anything else).

I doubt it. The hardest bit is not the coding but figuring out the business logic, and no language nor fancy tool can do that for you.
It is also hard to graft policies and processes onto a toolkit that was never made for it. SB+ and Unibasic are very dated and are showing there age more and more every year.

I bet there are a lot of things I can do with Pick Basic and multi-value that you can't (or at least not as easily) do with Python.
Please name some. I would really like to know. Basic has nothing to do with MV, nor does python. Unibasic is merely the language chosen to manipulate data objects. What I propose is no different that what Tony G does with .NET, or what the java bindings for mv are.

For a db to remain relevant, it needs hooks and GOOD, FREE bindings to as many technologies as possible. If IBM wants a license for every single thing related to U2, its growth and uptake will remain stunted.

Things could be a lot different in our marketplace. We should charge for services, not connections. If you give away the connections, we have larger installs, which give more opportunity for consulting and getting money into peoples pockets.

So in the end would it really benefit me in what I am doing for a living every day if I would learn yet another new language?

I am going to be learning a new language every day that I continue to work. I am not going to hang my whole career on Unibasic.