From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of
bradley.sch...@usbank.com
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:19 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] More questions on indexing

Thanks, Rod. One more thing. I've written a test program to simplify index
creation and building. When I run it under type U or type P using
BUILD.INDEX or BUILD-INDEX, it gives me the "Enter <New line> to
continue..." prompt after each screen of *'s. Definitely not desirable for
an automated process. It doesn't do this at TCL.

How can I work around this? I'd rather not throw a bunch of DATA
statements in there.

EXECUTE 'DELETE.INDEX LS.INV.NUM N.CONTRACT.KEY'
DATA 20
EXECUTE 'CREATE.INDEX LS.INV.NUM N.CONTRACT.KEY'
EXECUTE 'BUILD.INDEX LS.INV.NUM N.CONTRACT.KEY'

TIA,
Brad.

> Please respond to U2 Users List
>
>  I think Oracle's indexing scheme is much more complicated that
> Unidata's, so I don't think you can compare the two. I do rebuild some
> of the dynamic files on occasion to get some space back. Other than
> that, I leave them alone and haven't had problems. - Rod
>

> Research continues and I have more question for the group: my Oracle
> buddies rebuild their indexes at least weekly. Seems to be a best
> practice. Seems odd to not be able to trust that your index is correct.
> Is
> this a concern for ud 7.1?
>
> TIA,
> Brad.
>
> ud 7.1
> AIX 5.3
> U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.