Brad:

I've defined indexes in my files with dictionary items like "INDEX_1", etc. Thus only these dictionaries are ever used for indexing. A file may have 4 or 5 indexes (INDEX_1 - INDEX_4).

I wrote another program to do the indexing for a single file or an entire account by executing the command...

:ACCT-INDEX  CUSTFILE  -IINDEX_

...which will create all the indexes on the CUSTFILE. Also, my dictionary listing will show these indexes separately so it looks like:

Dictionary of File: APPO                              13:48:38 Jul 16 2009
Dict Name...... Typ # Col-Heading.... Field-Def... Conversion.. Formt Assoc...

@UQ             Phr                   VENDNO CLIEN
                                     TNO DISSUE A
                                     UTH DESCT DC
                                     LOSED
INDEX_1         Indx                  IF DCLOSED N              18L   S
                                     E "" THEN CL
                                     IENTNO "R(%4
                                     )" : UNITNO
                                     "R(%7)" : SE
                                     QNO "R(%7)"
@ID             D 0   APPO                                      6R    S
PONO            D 0   PO#                                       7R    S
VENDNO          D 1   VEND#                                     5R    S
CLIENTNO        D 2   CLNT                                      4R    S

We don't normally rebuild indexes on UD v7.1 or v7.2.

HTH,

Bill