... And I've found when teaching UniVerse Basic to died-in-the-wool .Net and
C programmers, who tend to comment at the lack of variable declaration or
strong typing and the idea that it's an interpreted language, the words
'just like PHP' tends to have a calming effect ...

<grin>

I just wish IBM would officially publish the UO protocol so it could be
emulated in PHP. The problem with the other approaches, excluding web
services, is that you need to install specific modules rather than using PHP
code. Which then makes that module platform dependent and you may not have
the rights to install it on a hosted system. Whereas writing a UO client in
pure PHP would make it fully cross platform and no installation hassles.

Brian