I know the software I am writing doesn't yet have all of the features it
needs to have. I figure that this volunteer-written app (again, eager to see
it) simply doesn't have every feature either. That is no shame.
I don't know if there is an intent to deploy it for Chrome, FF, Safari, etc,
I'm guessing there is an intent to have it usable in IE 8 at some point. If
the intent is never to add the feature of being generally usable in a
browser-other-than-IE environment, that would still put it in a category
with many other s/w applications out there. That a piece of software to be
used by a relatively small group of people for an infrequently needed (by
each person) purpose has a specific, proprietary run-time environment should
not be a shocker to any of us, I would think. That run-time environment is
widely available, even if not on my box (with > 6 web browsers installed
right now).

That a piece of deployable software could be written by volunteers in
relatively short order is great. Even if I would rather see developers have
toolsets and frameworks that provide cross-browser support, that can be
quite expensive to write and support. It sounds like you picked a strategy
and have a deployable and usable software app. If we want to use it,we need
to have the run-time environment for it. If I needed to run this app right
now, I'm sure I could install a viable run-time for it, just as people have
been doing since PC's came along.

So, congrats for getting this far with it. I'll suggest that whenever you
give the URL you call it an IE-app, which you might have done, just to set
expectations right so that we don't think it is a web app (which is what
people usually give URLs for). I suspect that is the cause of this
discussion here right now. Some people have not seen URLs given for apps
that were not written to be web apps. Not every application must be a web
app. I see no problem with this particular app for B&B having a specific
run-time environment rather than being able to run in any browsers I
currently have installed (5 right now on this box, FF3.5, IE8, Opera
10beta2, Chrome 2, SeaMonkey). I had intended to keep IE7 loaded and add
IE8, but somehow missed the opportunity when loading IE8 to install it as a
separate browser. For our app development, I'm testing pages in IE 6 on
another machine and I'm ignoring IE7 right now, hoping that if a page works
in IE6 and IE8, then it will also work in IE7 (yeah, I know better than to
think that, but I'm still going to ignore IE7 until the last minute, there
just aren't enough hours in the day)

Cheers!  --dawn

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today