This company provides OEM software to IBM.  This does not mean IBM won't
continue to sell U2, this is still to be explained.  In this crisis companies
like IBM are looking to focus on their core business and U2 is a different
beast.  This does not mean its good or bad, just different to everything else
they are doing, hence I would see this as a strategic move rather than a sell
off.

I would not take the view that Rocket is just sustaining technology, they have
modern products and are developing new technology.  They don't seem to have a
list of old solutions.

What I would say to management at the moment, is that they are more secure than
most other platforms with a guaranteed path of continuity.  There are several
mv vendors out there who are successful and growing.  It is not as big a task
to move mv platforms as it is with RDBMs.  The mv market is a vibrant market,
well established in banking, distribution, ERP and MRP with leading companies.
U2 business has still been growing double digits for many years now.

IBM was great for brand name, but it was restrictive for U2.  Rocket does not
have the branding, but it will be more dynamic.  Any organisation, has one
focus and that is to make money.  If Susie puts a business case and shows a
return, then Rocket will pursue and develop the business.

Informix and IBM never bought U2 as a product, it came with the baggage.
Rocket has made a strategic decision to buy U2.

Whilst being cautious, it is too early to say that this is negative and there
are reasons for optimism.  Like anything in life, it is what we make of it.
Informix and IBM were both staggered at the passion of the U2 community, and if
we present this to Rocket, they will be too.

So at the moment, I have cautious optimism to the future of U2 and as a user
group we can hopefully make it successful.

Regards

David Jordan