Bill -

Years ago, while working at ADP Dealer Services, we were asked to attempt the same thing. Your take on the scope of the project is correct. It is a hugh project that requires some way to maintain the scripts in sync with the code as well as to store the sets of responses to enter. A top level team of ADP developers looked into the project and concluded that it was not cost effective. Due to the ever changing nature of the tests that are required for new apps and feature changes, keeping the scripts in sync with the next version of changes requires as much manpower as the manual testing.

A better strategy for serious testing is to develop a separate staff that knows the application well and just is responsible for testing and development of test plans (an art in of itself that programmers are not very good at). I believe that this would offer a more cost effective strategy and get your company better testing that unit tests done by the programmers.

In some programming environments (other than MV), there are products to do this kind of instrumented testing, but the only ones I ever investigated cost more that our entire budget for the QC staff that did our testing and a lot more at ADP.

Ken