Okay, a few things here...

First the index issue. When UniVerse creates an index on a file, it puts the
absolute pathname to the index into the file header. You will need to remove
this using the SET.INDEX command thus:

SET.INDEX filename TO NULL

Next, the file size:

The D_ZIP is the dictionary file. If you haven't fnuxi'd this, the modulus
in the file header will be in the wrong byte order, so the reported modulus
(16777216) is garbage. You will need to fnuxi D_ZIP as well.

Incidentally -

Download the free daily admin guide from the U2UG website (under the Learner
Pack) for more details: here is a top level view -

The modulus is one of the two components of sizing a file, and refers to the
number of groups (pages) in the file. As it says, in personal edition there
is a limit to this value. This number is independent of the actual data
stored since a) it is the space reserved, so part may be empty, and b) you
can make the size of each group (page) - also known as the separation -
larger to store the data, it just makes the file less performant (and
affects things like locking). To change the modulus and separation, look at
the RESIZE command (HELP RESIZE).

Brian