If you can arrange for the terminal emulator to run a command, you can fire off
(for example):

"cmd /c start http://myserver/files/abc123.pdf";

And the end user's PC will launch the default browser and attempt to connect to
the web service.  You set the mime-type to application/pdf, include some magic
javascript in the pdf to open up the print dialog automatically, and Bob's your
uncle.  Closing the pdf is tricky, we've left it to the user to do that.  For
word, substitute macros for javascript (though the user will have to be
prepared for scary popups).

If you have full control of the client's environment, you can install tools
like doit (by the author of putty) and bypass the terminal emulator bit.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/doit/

The other way we do this to send word, excel and pdf docs generated by pick
basic code is to simply email it to the user.  Sometimes there's no other
options - there's a firewall in the way, security won't allow other methods,
etc.  The users don't seem to care, as long as they get a document in a few
seconds.

Ian McGowan
925.609.2554