In message <pine.lnx.4.64ras.1005190850490.5...@nimbus.anzio.com>, Bob Rasmussen <r...@anzio.com> writes
On Wed, 19 May 2010, charles_shaf...@ntn-bower.com wrote:

>> You refer to our Print Wizard product. No, we don't have a Linux
version.

Any plans to develop a Unix version?  All of our servers run on Unix. Some
of our workstations too.

The same issue exists on Unix, so no.

It is quite easy to set up one or more Windows machines as print servers,
running Print Wizard, and feed them from Unix or Linux. This is what we
recommend, and we have many customers doing this.

The only problem with *that* - is that your "$100 solution" has just become a "$1000" solution.

Find a machine, find somewhere to put it, pay for Windows (and you probably need the expensive "pro" version), and then pay all the running costs (electricity, air-con, etc etc aren't cheap).

A lot harder to justify for occasional use. Don't forget - nix houses aren't used to the "one server per service" concept - they've probably got one old box running twenty, thirty occasionally used services - $100 to add another service on it is a very different proposition to finding a complete new machine just to run one thing.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <pi...@thewolery.demon.co.uk>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the