Good luck Karl... We will miss you.

--Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Karl Pearson
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:29 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: [U2] Saying Goodbye...

I'm not sure if most, or any, of you actually know me, but here's what
amounts to my swan song.

For the past 18+ years I've been a decent UV DBA. I took classes from
Mark Baldridge and later Joel Yates way back when to learn how to
manually repair corrupt files, and was proficient before uniVerse became
so stable that corrupt files happened infrequently and fixtool worked.

But during that time, I've maintained a personal email and web server,
running Majordomo v1.94.5, etc. and have learned a bit about the LAMP
stack in so doing.

I've been a layed-off DBA, for a small retail company, for the past 22
months, consulting my previous employer because they got rid of me so
they could have salary cap to hire a different type of IT manager and
move off UV to Profit21, which failed after $250,000 lost. They are back
on UV and will stay now.

I, however, have to move on because I've received the proverbial offer
one can't refuse ($5000US signing bonus and the option for 5000 shares
of company stock), plus no one in the 'PICK' world has offered me
anything, though there may be a few things still in the works, which
will now go quietly away. I will be working in the LAMP world now,
making a living doing my hobby, so to speak. (FYI: LAMP = Linux, Apache,
MySQL and PHP or Perl, depending on who you listen to)

I may hang around on the list for a bit, but will eventually have to
unsubscribe as my life moves farther and father away from a field I have
grown to respect and enjoy. Best wishes to all of you, and like others
before me, I'm sure I'll miss the group association you've provided,
though I'm mostly just a quiet observer.

Thanks and I'll never forget this group of intelligent, insightful,
thought-provoking and often entertaining, professionals.

---
Karl Pearson
ka...@ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;  to mess up a
microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have  for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually  repeat word for
word what you shouldn't have said.
---