From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Gregor Scott
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:07 PM
To: 'U2 Users List'
Subject: Re: [U2] Filesystem options cio for AIX 5.3

Dan,

We have done a lot of work on tuning AIX for UniVerse.

I looked into CIO and its potential benefits to UV. I even raised a case
with U2 support. Their response was that as CIO essentially eliminates
caching updates in memory it requires the update to be physically made to
disk before the process can continue. The nature of UV (and possibly UD)
updates made U2 support think there would not be much benefit.

The biggest improvements we made were to how AIX manages memory and its I/O
buffers.
The memory changes made a huge different to process paging, and the I/O
buffers played a large part in stabilising our I/O activities. These
settings are the culmination of taking advised adjustments from various
sources and then fine tuning for our UV installations.

___Memory Management____
Parameter                                       Default New Value
Command to Adjustment
minperm%                                        20              5
vmo -p -o minperm%=5
maxperm%                                        80              90
vmo -p -o maxperm%=90
maxclient%                                      80              90
vmo -p -o maxclient%=90
lru_file_repage                         1               0               vmo
-p -o lru_file_repage=0
page_steal_method                               0               1
vmo -p -o page_steal_method=1

___PBUFS___
pv_min_pbuf                                     512             4096
ioo -p -o pv_min_pbuf=4096

___JFS2___
j2_dynamicBufferPreallocation           16              128             ioo
-p -o j2_dynamicBufferPreallocation=128
j2_nBufferPerPagerDevice                512             8192            ioo
-p -o j2_nBufferPerPagerDevice=8192

___JFS___
numfsbufs                                       196             2048
ioo -p -o numfsbufs=2048
maxpgahead                                      8               16
ioo -p -o maxpgahead=16

I found the following links very helpful when exploring the AIX performance
tuning options:
http://www.circle4.com/blosxomjl.cgi/
http://users.ca.astound.net/baspence/AIXtip/j2_buffer.htm

This PDF explains the benefits of tuning Memory:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/download/attachments/53871915/VMM+Tu
ning+Tip+-+Proctecting+Comp+Memory.pdf?version=2

Whilst focused on Oracle, this PDF provides an interesting snippet on page
9: "Large hdisks are evil" for I/O performance!
http://www.circle4.com/papers/PAI22.pdf

Hope this helps

Gregor