From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Susan Joslyn
Sent: 12 July 2010 13:33
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UI standards

Good morning.

In developing a new user interface - how have you folks established
standards?

When I google around I find an immense amount of information.  Accessibility
standards.  Industry standards.  And many games and applications have
published their standards - how to make your software look like theirs so
your users are already familiar.  I don't see as many published standards
regarding data entry screens.  (But I am still plowing through thousands of
search results!) Still many of these standards are personal choice.  Or in
some cases far to the opposite extreme - you can find psychological studies
about what colors to use, for example.

If you set standards on a previous interface and now move to another - how
much do you want to stick to your standards for consistency and
compatibility and how much do you want to break out and show-off that this
is, after all, a new interface?
Obviously there are technical limitations - with the new stuff, always.  But
what about design decisions you made based on previous limitations - and now
those limitations are lifted!?  How crazy do you go?  What do users really
want? (Now there is something to ponder!)

Any thoughts, ideas, references and discussion on this topic from anyone?

Susan