Hi Baker:

We have a warehouse that runs 24/7 and cannot be down, not even for backups.
They are 100% Web based except for the handhelds which run on a telnet
interface.  The warehouse's backup machine is used by the warehouse's
customers access to the their data via the internet.  So the data must be
current at all times and available should the main server suffer a hardware
or software failure.

Since we run on Unidata and Universe we had to have a solution that worked
on both.  We wrote replication technology that is handled in our middleware
(U2WebLink) for all of our web applications.   All changes to the database
create a transaction record.  There is a process always running that picks
up those records  sending them to the backup machine where the backup
machine does the update.  Our telnet programs create transactions as well
and those are replicated to the other machine.  We surround each write or
delete in our Basic code with a call to a subroutine to capture the before
and after images.

In this case they manually switch the IP address to the new machine when we
tested the worst case scenario, but this can be done with hardware.  My
client was not willing to purchase any more hardware to accomplish this
switch over.

Regards,
Doug

BTW:  We are just finish up a Continuous Backup program that runs in Eclipse
that continually copies data from one machine to another or can copy it up
to the cloud company such as Amazon.  You should be seeing announcement
soon.