On 26/07/10 23:17, Tony Gravagno wrote:
> As another Sequoia anecdote: An IT manager was surprised one day
> by a FedEx delivery of a motherboard. Apparently his system has
> lost a CPU and phoned to Support to get a new one, though no one
> at the company had noticed yet.  The instructions were simply
> something like "Remove bad board, insert new board".  Twenty
> years later people are still wondering if it's possible to
> minimize downtime...
Stratus anecdote this time ... I was at their UK office in Cannon Street
(can't quite remember why) meeting a friend (Bill Hooper) who worked for
them. He showed me round, and stopped at one machine. "If I pull the CPU
board out of this, the only people who notice anything wrong will be us,
as this machine rings itself up to report a fault". It was their
fault-reporting system, and it received phone calls like those made by
your system.

Cheers,
Wol