Mark:

This is extremely simple in Windows. Add a basic email header to the statement you wish to send, e.g...

x-sender: myser...@mydomain.com
x-receiver: targetn...@targetdomain.com
From: billingd...@mydomain.com
To: targetn...@targetdomain.com
Subject: Your monthly billing for September 2010

...then copy the item to the "C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Pickup" folder. Windows SMTP service will automatically send it out.

As Jeff says, however, you'll have to configure the SMTP server to properly "forward" to an authorized email server. If you "need" attachments, which most billings don't, then Jeff's method, although not as simple, will work fine. Also, if you want "html" you'll have to build a program to do that. Normally I just create an "html" template then, at runtime, substitute data into this template and write it to the aforementioned SMTP folder.

HTH,

Bill