I just use putty, then again our term emulation is just for our dev guys - all
user interfaces are browser based.

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Bob Rasmussen
Sent: 14 September 2010 20:28
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Is anyone storing multi-byte names or addresses

[Ad] For a terminal emulator that can handle UTF-8 data, try Anzio.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Symeon Breen wrote:

> We use utf-8 encoding of Unicode - this is good as it is compact as it
> only uses 1 2 3 or 4 bytes depending on the character value in the unicode
> set.
> Also 1-127 is the same as regular ascii. - For us it is only ever
> single or double bytes, it just stores it in the field, so for
> instance the character Z is stored as c5 bb.
>
> I don't think Selects and lists etc would work on such data unless you
> have nls configured, but we don't do many selects in our systems and
> certainly not on any fields that would have utf-8 in them.
>
> For viewing - so long as your emulator is set up for utf-8 it will
> view the data correctly, if you switch your emulator to an extended
> acii type character encoding it will give you control characters.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: r...@anzio.com
 company e-mail: r...@anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA