At a previous employer, we used a single file similar to what Jeff suggests,
and it was a very neat and tidy little file.  The only problem we ran into
was when we started getting larger sites, and had trouble with throughput.
It turned out that with 20 or so next-item counters in one frame, the lock
table became a bottleneck.  We had to radically over-size the file to spread
the items into more groups so that group update locks didn't hamper
performance.  So our neat and tidy modulo 7 or 11 file went to a modulo of
around 101.  Still relatively small with a separation of 1.  With disk as
cheap as it is these days, it's a very easy solution, once you know.

Richard Lewis