I agree. I use cURL for more reasons than socket license requirements. If
the server-client communication does not have to be synchronous with your
business app then it will allow you to run external batch jobs. CASS
certification, for example, can be done in the background for new addresses
right before a bulk mailing. For typical real-time scenarios, it takes the
"uh oh" factor out of socket API mods/bugs when you decide to upgrade or
apply patches. I trust cURL more than any built-in socket interface and it
offers a lot of extras that often do not exist cross-flavor like client SSL
support and programmatic authentication methods.

Regards,

Glen Batchelor
IT Director/CIO/CTO
All-Spec Industries