A lot of people used to code their applications to "R83" or least common
denominator. The company I worked for 15 years ago had a mix of Adds Mentor,
Stratus OA, Power95 and a small universe system at a satellite office. We
bought a new accounting system that was written to R83. The vendor was a var
for Mentor and favored that, but their system easily installed and ran on the
Stratus and Power95 systems as well. But then we decided we wanted to upgrade
the universe system and have all our accounting users on that. Just about
everything else was ok, but it took the var 3 months of work to convert the
procs to work on universe. (but oh my god it was worth the wait. I recoded some
of their app and our core application to take advantage of universe's type 25
btree files and then the user experience was literally a million times faster)

Then there are the little time bombs like:
  A=CONVERT('ABC','C','XABCX')
On universe or unidata this is the equivalent of
  CONVERT 'ABC' TO 'C' IN 'XABCX'
and A='XCX' but on d3 it is
  CONVERT 'C' TO 'XABCX' IN 'ABC'
 and A='ABX'

You may convert the application in a few hours, but you'll be debugging it for
months :) Or it might just work. The only big snag in the accounting
application I mentioned (and it was a large app with lots of programs) was proc.