But surely the reason is that whilst some years ago we all did everything in
U2 (or D3 or whatever) today we use a blend of technologies.  So it is
unlikely that you will be doing new front end development in basic, you will
have adopted a .NET or java or whatever approach.  You will then, I hope, be
interfacing back to U2 for data storage and, to a greater or lesser extent,
business logic, but you are unlikely to be trying to work out how to do
massively innovative things in U2.

That is a reflection of the fact the U2 is becoming more and more a database
and less of a complete development environment.  It's part of the evolution,
when I started on a CMC/Microdata Reality the operating system, database and
development environment were combined.  Then the o/s bit gradually dropped
away and it all became a database and development environment on unix or
windows.  Now, to some extent, the development environment is moving away
and it is becoming a database.

Arguably that is where it should have been positioned in the first place,
Pick/Reality etc were never great as operating systems, as development
environments they have had their day but it was always and still is as a
database that the true strengths lie.

George Land
APT Solutions Ltd
U2 UK Distributor