Hi All,

We're running UniVerse 10.1.17 on AIX 5.3 and the backup feature
included within our vendors software is pretty basic and only allows
backups of Universe to tape.

I'm going to continue running backups to tape on a nightly basis, but
I'd also like to automate backups over the network to another file
server so that if I'm not around to swap tapes they'll continue being
backed up, as well as all the benefits of having extra copies in case
a tape fails.

What's the best way to achieve this, is it necessary to use UniVerse's
built-in "uvbackup" utility ?

I currently have a FreeNAS server setup in another building using
rsync (the rsnapshot utility - http://rsnapshot.org/) to copy the
files directly at the operating system level onto the FreeNAS box,
however I've no way of really verifying the validity of these files
copied over as to whether the server was in the midst of rewriting a
file at the time it was copied.

The FreeNAS rsnapshot setup appears to be doing a good job at copying
the files and helps me rotate the backups through hourly, daily,
weekly snapshots. It tries to save disk space by hard linking the
rotated snapshots and only copying the changed files, however the
problem is it validates the change by timestamp on the file, and of
course when uvbackup runs each night it updates the timestamp on
*every* file and hence each daily snapshot I end up with another
entire copy of all the files when it probably wasn't necessary.

If uvbackup is the way to go, what command line options should I be
looking at ? I've read the examples in IBM's Universe admin manual but
it doesn't give any examples of backup to to disk paths...

Our current backup is about 15GB of data to tape, backing up our
entire /UVdata directory and all the accounts under that. I'd like to
do the same full backups to disk.

>From what I've pieced together in the manual the way to do this would
be something like:-

$ find /UVdata -print | uvbackup -f -v -l "FULL UVDATA BACKUP" - >
/remote.nfsshare/UVdata

Once that's done I'm guessing I could then bundle that remote UVdata
backup into a tarball and compress it to save space and keep several
backups on disk.

Any suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Very interested to hear if "uvbackup" is necessary or not... I asked
one of the guys from our software vendor in the past and he felt the
files should be fine being backed up directly to another machine (ie:
even via FTP) without uvbackup, but I'm not convinced myself that you
could be 100% sure of the integrity of the files if you do a direct
disk copy since how would you know if the server had some writes in a
buffer it hadn't yet flushed or was in the middle of rewriting a file,
or does it really not matter a great deal ?

Thanks,
Chris