On 25/08/11 16:19, DavidJMurray (mvdbs.com) wrote:
> Is anyone using a RAMDisk with U2 files?
>
> I have noticed that there are two types of ram disks within Linux - tmpfs
> and /dev/ram1 which can be used to create a small file system.
>
> Does anyone have any practical experience on these options?

tmpfs on linux is pretty reliable. From my other post you can see I use
it by default :-)

Not sure what you're trying to do, but you might want to combine it with
union mounting. If you want to create temporary workspace, you might be
better creating it on disk and throwing it away when you're finished,
but if you really want to use ramdisk then ...

Create a set of empty files pointed to from your VOC (or VOCLIB)
elsewhere. Union mount a tmpfs over the directory containing your empty
files, and then you don't need to worry about whether they're there
after a reboot or anything like that. When the system comes up, it will
see the empty files on the hard disk. As the files are updated, they'll
be stored on ramdisk. When the system reboots, the updated files will be
lost and the system will once again see the empty files on disk ... usw
usw usw.

Cheers,
Wol